Make ice cream yourself without an ice cream machine – child’s play with these basic ingredients
Did you know that each of us ate around 8.7 liters of ice cream in the summer of 2018? The most popular varieties are still classics such as vanilla, strawberry and chocolate. There are far more possibilities to create unusual ice cream flavors yourself. And all that without an ice machine. We’ll tell you the most important ingredients and present you with a delicious recipe that works even without animal products.
Basic recipe: These are the most important ingredients
If you want to make your own ice cream, you have the great advantage that you know exactly which ingredients have been used. This is particularly important for allergy sufferers or people with a food intolerance such as lactose intolerance. You can also use regional and seasonal products – from controlled organic cultivation.
Ingredients for a classic milk
ice cream (makes about half a liter of ice cream):
- 250 milliliters of cream
- 250 milliliters of milk
- 150 grams of sugar
- 4 egg yolks
The dairy products can of course also be replaced with vegan coconut, almond or soy milk. To bind the mass, locust bean gum or coconut flour are a good alternative to eggs.
In the first step, the cream, milk and sugar are heated in a saucepan – not boiled! Then the egg yolk is whisked and slowly poured into the pot while stirring. Last but not least, the ice cream mass is stirred and heated until the desired consistency is achieved. Once the cooled down completely, put it in a bowl or for several hours in the freezer.
Tip: To make the ice cream even smoother, it should be stirred once after the first hour in the freezer when the mixture has thawed, and then every half an hour (approx. Four to six times).
Homemade Snickers ice cream is creamy and crispy at the same time
Make Snickers ice cream yourself: the recipe
The ingredients (make about four servings of ice cream):
- 3 Snickers bars (50 grams each)
- 350 milliliters of milk
- 200 milliliters of cream
- 100 grams of sugar (or honey)
- 100 grams of peanuts
- 3 egg yolks (size M)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (flavor)
- First, put the candy bars in the refrigerator for a few hours as they are easier to work with once they have hardened. Now chop up two of the bars and slowly dissolve the pieces in the warmed milk while stirring constantly.
- Whisk the egg yolk, sugar and vanilla flavor together until a foamy mass is formed – this is then stirred into the milk. Then the amount of ice should be carefully heated again to approx. 75 to 80 ° C.
- Whip the cream until stiff and fold it into the now cooled cream. Now fill this in the desired shape – alternatively, are also – and put them in the freezer for 60 minutes.
- Stir the milk ice cream and repeat the process every 30 minutes. This makes the ice cream particularly creamy. As soon as the first ice crystals form in the dessert, you can stir the peanuts and the third, finely chopped bar into the serving.